Sunday, March 15, 2009

musical a.d.d.

david bowie found me in 1980 when i was at my mom's university's library. and i've never loved anyone more.

musically, of course.

he was on a cover of a rolling stone magazine from the late seventies. his face was haunting. after memorizing the article, i went to listen to any of his songs on the vinyl that the library had. when my mother picked me up after her class, i was dizzy from the personas: ziggy stardust, the thin white duke, aladdin sane...

i begged her to take me to record store to buy his first album from 1969, hunky dory. i knew i'd be forever lost in his musical grasp and i wanted to start from the beginning.

the next big influence was later that year (not nearly as impactful, but still worth noting), when i was turned onto led zeppelin, janis joplin, and jimi hendricks.  even in later years, they would provide a soundtrack for my later years at the great Pocono Mountain High School.

but even during that time, my musical tastes were peppered with black uhuru, run dmc and public enemy (911 is a joke was my favorite vinyl hip hop single and the soundtrack for "breakin'" was all that mattered to me). 

then i got to nyu, right after my mom's passing, and i was off to the hip-opera, starting with mary j. blige in 1989.  her collaborations were fly and her voice astounding. i liked monie love, and queen latifah but mary was FRESH. the 90s were epic years for r&b/hip hop (in my humble opinion) with notorious big, jay z, dre's chronic, snoop, ja and wyclef (who produced great songs for everyone)... 

but the aught decade (which is almost over!) has felt light for hip hop until recently. i felt like it was propped up by luda and fabulous. 

it got kinda angry and boring, but t.i. is helping to bring it back a little... and his collaborations  are wicked. combining artists on one song i really believe is the best approach -- it's like co-branding.

all that to say that from the beginning i was always a bit ecceletic in my musical taste, and it felt more like the swing of a pendulum to me at times... acoustic -- rock -- hip hop -- r&b.

then in the late summer/early fall of '07 my tastes in music changed, yet again.

i think it could be specifically due to two albums in particular: john mayer's continuum and jack johnson's sleep through static. both of them brought acoustic guitar front and center -both really made an impression on me in their simplicity. i loved it and it made me pick up my own guitar again with a passion like i haven't had since college. 

after that, i really only listened to music that i could figure out the chord progressions and sit down and play myself. it meant a radical departure for me from r&b and hip hop which up til then had been center stage on my ipod--with the exception of the prerequisite david bowie, black crowes or blues traveler songs which were always loaded in. 

i will always be that girl... jam band's rock.

but it was weird for me and anyone who knew my monthly playlists--the balance of power on the lists went way acoustically based. or alternative-oriented. it also apexed somewhat with coachella and mile high music festivals last summer. 

now, for the first time, i went almost all hip hop/rap/r&b on my march playlist, but what's noticable is that there's a real skew to the past. (check out my newest tech indulgence: blip.fm/kristinjuel)

i suppose that's the point. ebb and flow of music mirrors the times in our lives. as i design music and health initiatives for the healthcare company i work with, i am really impressed at how each one of us have our own soundtrack for our lives.

so in the meanwhile, perhaps i can live through all of you - send me your fav songs so i can hear them...

and check out my newest tech/music indulgence: blip.fm/kristinjuel to see how i build my station to show just how much of musical a.d.d. i might have...

mwah. 
hollywood, out.
k
 
song of the moment: day n' nite by kid cudi  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z50o6qmb2w





2 comments:

  1. ahhh the 80's... we sported bad perms and blazers (remember "blazers?") ....but we had our badges...those cheezy buttons we bought at the Stroud Mall and emblazoned our blazers with...and you so tall, and full of Aladdin Sane, Ziggy Stardust and all those spiders from mars crawling down your lapel.. I can recall having Led Zeppelin and Prince sharing the same collarspace with my then beloved VanHalen...all duking it out form supremacy... those buttons... they were the tattoos of our generation love! with their rusty little pins...I'll bet you still have some of those originals dontchya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute. I love David Bowie. Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

    ReplyDelete